Day 23: Make the Season Bright! Continued... Advent Calendar

Friday, November 06, 2009 Aimee Larsen 7 Comments

Obviously, I'm proud of this one!
Originally Posted on 12/6/2008


Last night I spent about 2 hours going through old Christmas Cards, picking the ones that were turned long ways, cutting them out into envelopes, then gluing them together. So this morning my goal was to get tiny clothes pins. After dropping my son off at school, I made a trip to Hobby Lobby and for $2.33 I got 24 of them. Brought them home, painted them black.
I grabbed a piece of wood from the garage, covered the front with batting, then with black canvas and stapled all the way around the back, then I used some fancy white cording and wrapped it around to the back, stapling each cord securely. Added two little cord loops in the back for hanging. Then stuffed each envelope with something special for my kids. Here's what I put in them.  Here's the template for the envelopes.  Just click the image to print. 
Also go here to download for "To Do Cards"

1. Write and Mail Letters to Santa 2. Bake Cookies and Decorate 3. Share Cookies with Neighbors 4. Make a gift for each others Stockings. 5. Make a Paper Chain for Tree 6. Wrap Presents for Teachers 7. Make up a Bedtime Story using Stuffed Animals 8. Write a Story and “publish” it on Mom’s Blog 9. Make Christmas Ornaments, make Daddy’s B-Day Present 10. Make a “Thankful” list and hang it up (Daddy’s Birthday) 11. Take a Bubble Bath with Candle light 12. Break out the Christmas Music and Dance 13. Watch a Christmas Movie 14. Make More Christmas Ornaments 15. Make Paper Snowflakes for the Windows 16. Have a Tea Party 17. Make Christmas Wrapping Paper 18. Make Mommy a Canvas Painting with Hand prints 19. Read a Pile of Christmas stories 20. Stay Up Late and Watch a Movie 21. Bake Some Bread or Cookies 22. Make Cupcakes 23. Go see Massive Christmas Light Show down the street. 24. Christmas Party at Nana’s 25. Open Presents and Go to more parties.
 
 
You could also do them like the example above, same pattern and concept, just decorate your mantel!
Now I'm off to do #1 with the kiddo's!
P.S. I'm leaving this sucker up all year to catch my important pictures, birthday cards, announcements, invites, etc.! So, it'll work ALL year!
P.S.S.  I made a little origami box to put the envelopes on after we took them down.  The kids liked seeing them "gone".  The box is made out of Christmas paper and sat on the mantel as decoration.  I also saved the strips of paper so I might use them next year.  Read on to see how our Advent Calendar adventures continued...

7 comments:

  1. Hi There! I found you from over at Lorie's. I LOVE this idea so much. I am so glad I popped over for a visit because your blog is just FAB! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this idea so much! What a wonderful way to recycle and to enjoy all year!
    Thanks for the inspiration
    Blessings
    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!!! What an incredible idea! You are so awesome! Love your blog! Can you believe we are having snow in November???
    Maybe a White Christmas in Georgia?
    Hugs,
    Yvette The Charm House

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea, too!!
    I'm thinking of doing something similar, only with tags hanging right ON the christmas tree..they'll have the numbers on the front and then little instructions on the back...

    my kids are all old enough that they won't wreck the tree looking for the "next" number =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting you from Thrifty Decor Chick.

    A bunk bed for daddy - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi!!!!!!!!!!! I absolutley love this. Now I happy say I keep my cards and I knew someday I would find a reason. Anywhoo..I learned about this through a tweet from a previous member of our site. I'll be posting this today on the Denver Momslikeme.com..I think the mommmas will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! It's such an awesome idea for an advent. I hope you don't mind, but I shared it on my blog. :o) (I couldn't find a way to contact you and ask first.)

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!