Dress Up Your Plastic Crates

Monday, January 24, 2011 Aimee Larsen 0 Comments


My boys have plastic crates to store their toys.  They are just the right size and I can stack them, I love that.  Recently I finished making covers for these crates and it was super easy.  Here's How...
  1. Measure your crate across the top (front and side) and down the front.  Mine was 15" W, 14" D, & 11" Tall. 
  2. Multiple your W's x 2, and your D's x 2 and add them together.  My total was was 58", add 1" and that is the length of your first cut. 
  3. Multiple your Tall by 2 and add 1"  My total was 23".  
  4. All together my cut was 58" long and 23" wide.
  5. Now, Measure the bottom of your crate which should be around 1" smaller, mine was 14" x 13".  I cut a rectangle piece of fabric to serve as the bottom.
  6. Fold your long piece in half and sew the short ends together with a 1/4" seam allowance. 
  7. Attach your rectangle to the bottom of your long piece, pin carefully.  
  8. If needed hem the other end of the crate cover. 
  9. Insert your cover down into the the crate and fold the excess over the top and down to the bottom.
  10. If you want, you can add embellishments as shown.  I simply use the word "Toys" for random little toys they have and a "car silhouette" for their many little vehicles.

This project was super easy and an ideal sewing project for a beginner.  There are few cuts and the stitching is very straight forward.  Simply make sure you measure correctly and that you add enough extra to your measurements so that your cover is not too tight.  Happy Sewing!

P.S.  Yes, Doggy is still around.

0 Comments Here:

Show the love. Major love!