Day 5: Heirs, not Errors!

Wednesday, October 05, 2011 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments


Thanks for Meeting Me in The Laundry Room.  My laundry room is my spiritual closet, where I get down to the heart of matters with God and where I have my best conversations with Him. 

Head: I have had friends tell me over and over, "my husband is my best friend."  I always respond, "Mine too!"  I have to say, I think it would be very lonely marriage if my husband wasn't my best friend.  He's the one that I lean on, cry with, talk to and share everything with.  My girlfriends are a little different, they are REALLY good friends but it's just not the same.

When my husband and I first started dating it didn't take us long to realize that it was LOVE; but along with that was the deep respect we had for each other as friends.  Just like little kids, we were playmates.  We laughed and fought with the best of them.  I still think that the times I love most with my husband are the times I make him laugh.  They may seem fewer and farther between these days but when it does happen, when he laughs at me or with me, sparks fly.  It's like his laughter comes out and spreads through me.  It makes me feel good, my heart swells and I love that he thinks something I said or did was funny.  That's the moment when he also usually says, "I love you!"

So, if these are the moments I love with him, why do I not strive for these moments?  Why do I find myself picking at him and sometimes even taking joy away from him?  Even the meanest husband in the world could use a good laugh.  When I was reading my Bible in preparation for this challenge, I wondered to myself why I don't try harder to have these moments with my husband, I think he'd appreciate it more.
"heirs together in the grace of life" 1 Peter 3:7

Heart: I realize now that it is MY choice, it is in my control as to whether or not my husband and I are "heirs" of the wonderful things life has to offer or "errors" as partners in stress and tension.  Which would would you choose?

For the sake of my marriage and our happiness I want us to grow old together and be "heirs in the grace of life."  I want us to have the bounty of goodness that God wants us to have.  God WANTS us to be happy and love each other and be partners in the life of goodness that He has to offer.   We are our husbands helpers, their friends, and a gift to them from our Gracious Heavenly Father.  We need not spoil it, no matter our circumstances.  God made us to be our husbands helper, made to meet his needs.  We are their companions and playmates, we are there for good conversations.

No matter how hard the climb or struggle, laughter makes it so much easier.  God intends for us to live life with thanksgiving, forgiveness and joy.    When I began to understand this, I began to understand that is how I should also approach our Father.  I will have a much deeper appreciation for my purpose as a wife and that I should approach God and my husband in the same manner, with love, joy and delight.

Hands: Today, start being a "friend" to your husband, his playmate.   All of the pushing away that you have done over time can be undone.  Take into account the previous 4 days and being a friend to your husband will come easily.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love this it is dead on. Thank you for sharing Gods heart through yours.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!