Cheapest Coffee Table in Town

Thursday, July 21, 2011 Aimee Larsen 4 Comments


This picture makes me smile.  In more ways that one...First my babies blue eyes just pop and he's sportin' those worn out Speed Racer pants and the other thing is my old chest is no longer threatening to scratch my hardwood floor.  Plus, it is great for storing blankets to use while cuddling on the couch with a good movie. 

It all started with and idea...

I was walking through Lowe's with my husband;; cause that's what we like to do on a date night; out to eat and skip over to Lowe's.  While he was looking at closet doors, I was looking at how expensive those feet are you can buy for your furniture.  Some of them were $10 a piece.   I kept looking around and I found these...


The came in packs of two for around $2.50.   And the hardware would be much cheaper because it would only require blocks of wood and screws.  Instead of those metal corner bracket thingys that would just bend anyway.


So, I sawed off the ends of the finials.  I used my husbands manly power tool and had to improvise.  I probably would have rather used an small coping saw if I knew were ours had vanished too.


This was the scary part.  Plus, this rigging was due to trial and error.  I had to figure out a good way to hold the finial without sawing through my hand.  I used two pieces of wood.  One to hold the finial and the other to raise it up just a bit.  This was the result.


I ended up with for beautiful little feet four my chest and this is how I installed them...


I cut 4 blocks to go in the corners of the trunk.  I held them on the inside corners while I pre-drilled a few holes.





To secure the wooden block, it had to have a few screws to secure it.  Then I was able to attach the finial to the bottom of the chest and up into the wooden block.  They are nice and secure.  Add a few felt bottoms and done!


Now what color should I paint this masterpiece?  white?  green?  brown?  pink? Decisions, decisions.   

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea. I was going to try and make one. You have saved me a lot of time Thank yo Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great project! I vote for something darker like green or brown. Can't wait to see what you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And now how to repurpose those 4 finials!  Great idea, I am for sure going to use this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yosefa R. HuberTuesday, July 26, 2011

    I love that!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!