A New Obsession

Friday, December 16, 2011 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments

It is not by accident that I have a new obsession.  It is quite on purpose.  When I was still homeschooling Cooper, we skipped much of 3rd grade and moved onto 4th grade material because it was on his level.  We picked up any missing pieces from 3rd as a we went along.  During that time we studied Native American history and he read "The Double Life of Pocahontas" by Jean Fritz.  Today, I printed off the objectives for my new teaching position and I was not surprised (but excited) to see that we would be studying American Indians. 

Yes, I am teaching now.  No, this is not sudden.  I have been an interim teacher for since November.  I graduated with my masters degree on December 10th and I have made my way into a permanent teaching position which is to start the second week of January...fresh and new.  I have been told to go into the position as if it is the first day of school, from scratch, day one!  Yay me!  Yay kids!

I had so much fun teaching Cooper last year on this same material.  The first thing I want to do is find copies (enough for a class room set) of the Jean Fritz book.  This book basically covers 90% of the objectives under the "Culture" section.  There is so much that can be taught using this story.  Mainly I want to use it to help teach the kids that the people in these stories are real.  They existed just like you and I.  They had lives, thoughts, feelings and motives that are basic to all of us.  Their impression on our world and history has been made and in doing so is much like a finger print in history. 

My blog may be taking a more educational theme.  I can not totally commit to education here because this blog is about my life.  I do have another blog that is currently private.  I am considering using it for my teaching materials. 

So, my current obsession is to track down and find the best teaching methods for my children for my first year in 4th grade.  There are several blogs I am currently stalking for classroom management and general classroom ideas...

Wells Tale of the 4th Grade Nothing
Shepherds Shining Stars
My Life as  Fifth Grade Teacher
Fourth Grade Fanatic
Fourth Grade Frolics

1 comment:

  1. I  love those books!  Have you checked SONLIGHT online?? They sell homeschool curriculum and it is all literature based. That is where we first learned of Jean Fritz books.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!