Day 17: Love Surrenders

Monday, October 17, 2011 Aimee Larsen 0 Comments

“The wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield” (James 3:17 NKJV).


Head: I was studying on the parable of The Reed and The Oak it is a story about compromise and how the reed was willing to bend, while the oak was not.

According to the parable, a giant oak tree and a thin reed were both planted by the river. Whenever a storm came, the deep roots of the oak kept it firmly established, enabling it to withstand most winds. It could, however, be blown over by a wind of sufficient strength. There was nothing wishy-washy or compromising about the oak. The reed, on the other hand, would bend to the right or left, even with a slight breeze.

The conclusion of the story was that the oak, because of its refusal to compromise, could end upon losing its life in the storm, but the reed, though it might survive, could only do so by continual bending.  Matthew 7

Heart: When I read this parable, my heart simple skipped a beat.  God gave me a gift today in this lesson and spoke to my heart.  I hope that when you read the parable, it speaks to you as well.   This parable, like all of the ones Jesus told, applies to so many realms of our life but for me, it spoke directly to my heart and concerns for my marriage.  At this very moment I can rattle off a list of things that my husband and I have disagreed on and some we still continue to.  The list is not long, it's pretty short actually but when I think about what is on that list, I have to consider the story Jesus told about the reed. 

The reed was willing to bend, to give a little, even in a gentle breeze.  In a storm however, it was steadfast, bending but it is not broken.  If we start to consider our marriage or better yet, ourselves as a bending reed within our marriage; our marriage will also be steadfast, willing to bend and unbroken.  We all have areas in our marriage that we should be willing to bend a little for.   Yes, we are all defensive, it is in our nature.  How willing are you to bend for your marriage?

Hands:  Reflect on any situation or aspect in your marriage that you and your husband do not agree on; then bend! 

I'm thankful everyday that God was so willing  to come to earth as a man, to humble himself, to serve us, and willing to lay his life.  Christ was willing to to do his father's work.  “Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus: (Philippians 2:5)"  

0 Comments Here:

Show the love. Major love!