It's Not An Illusion

Thursday, July 14, 2011 Aimee Larsen 6 Comments


My boy is reading.  He is liking it!  My trick...I've starting reading the same books with him.  I'll grab his book and read a chapter or two ahead of him.  Because I do this, we can actually talk about the book, what has happened, what we think will happen and he knows I'll know if he's not reading.  He just start Tuck Everlasting.  I read the whole thing this morning because it's a short book and because I'd never read it.  Tonight he snuggled up in the bed, turned the TV off and read. 

It's not an illusion...


We actually did take the boys to the beach for the weekend.  We hadn't been in 3 years and I think we decided it needs to be a yearly thing at the least.  a 7 hour drive is worth moments like these.  Plus, my boys loved the ocean.  Except Evan was stabbed by a catfish head.  Apparently there as a catfish head floating around in the surf (I know this because my husband saw it).  He said it looked like something had eaten just the body. (gross)  Since Evan is the most curious he tried to check it out and was stabbed by one of it's barbs.  Have you ever heard of such?  That was the only mishap worth sharing. 

It's not an illusion...

We do have 3 baby birds in a nest on our porch.  One fell out today and my boys found it.  I put it back and worried the mommy and daddy wouldn't return but when the storms came today, they returned and snuggled up with them.  A friend told me she learned a long time ago that they'll return because they are their babies no matter how they smell.  So, I took this encouraging picture a few hours later. 

Those are brave baby birds.  They think they are ready to jump already.   We are keeping a close eye on them now that we know they are there. 

Here's one more cutie pie picture just to make you smile.


What has brightened your week? 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, those baby birds are dear.  Congrats on finding your boy a reader's heart.  Great job, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 9 yr. old grandson has gotten the reading bug too!  I'm so thrilled.  My son (his Daddy) hated to read, but his Mom is a reader.  We have a terrific used book store near where I work and I plan to keep him stocked up for birthdays, Christmas and other special occasions.  
    I love the pic of the boys at the beach.  I can just see you taking pictures of the same pose, year after year to document their growth!  So cute.
    And love the bird pictures.  We love the birds at our house and watch them at the feeders outside our windows every day.  But I've rarely seen the babies before they begin to fly.  Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures have brightened my week. Love the picture on the beach and a child reading is wonderful. The baby birds pictures are keepers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a sweet comment.  You comment made me smile!  Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I write about our issues with reading, the more I find people struggle with the same thing.  I'm happy to share our ups and downs, I think we all need encouragement when it comes to helping our kids learn to love books.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome that he has started loving reading! And what a great way to start a conversation. :) Making you guys to have something in common, when once they get older sometimes it's a little harder (sometimes not). :) 

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!