Old Things Need Fixin': A Chair

Friday, July 30, 2010 Aimee Larsen 2 Comments

Yesterday I talked about my recent yard sale experience and mentioned an antique chair like my grandmothers. I've always needed a chair to go with my husbands antique desk that he got from his grandfather.  Although the two aren't similar so much in style, the are from the same decade and is pretty darn close for me, cause the 40's were along time ago in the terms of furniture.   In saying that, these two are kinda like my husband and I, two different styles from the same decade that compliment each other.  


The chair was in pieces and one of the legs was wobbly because it was cracked a bit a the seat but I still saw it's beauty.  It was exactly what I wanted and for $5, it was a
steal.  As you can see there were several layers of fabric, and I'm going to show them all to you.  You can take a guess to what decade the fabrics are from.

I had to carefully remove all the layers one at a time.


I used a flat head screw driver to pry the staples out of the seat, layer by layer.


After the last layer, I started digging around in my fabric stash and found the perfect piece.  It's a pretty sage green with a chenille texture so it looks lighter than it is in pictures, the chenille has a reflective sheen.  I cut it to fit over the old seat with a little extra padding added.



I flipped the seat over and started stapling.  The trick is not to pull hard but hard enough that it isn't loose.  If I had pulled to hard, the edges would be a little bumpy.


I reattached the bottom with new screws and put a little glue on the loose crack.  By screwing the seat on, it secured the leg and the glue could take hold.


The chair needs a little TLC for the scratches but that is easy to fix.  
So, check out my super model of a chair.  
What I'm really excited about, is that I have a chair for my desk that is appropriate.
Bring on the old stuff. 

2 comments:

  1. Just love it when you can find exactly what you are looking for and can give it the love it needs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I have this exact chair from my grandmother's sewing room, re-upholstered twice!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!