Entrepreneurial Spirit: Momma Needs Advice!

Monday, October 05, 2015 Aimee Larsen 4 Comments

My oldest son loves to earn money. I can't even pay him though to do chores because he make more working side jobs for family and friends. He does have an entrepreneurial spirit and saves every penny. Yesterday after church he was in a hurry to eat lunch and get in the garage. He had an idea that was burning in him and his creative spirit needed to get it out. 


He later called me into his room to show me this!  Hanging in the middle of his barn wood shelves was a cross. He had measured and designed it himself. He asked about a few different ways to make it hang straight. I gave him suggestions and he came back satisfied with his work. 


Now, I have a reader question. How would you go about encouraging his entrepreneurial spirit?  He said "I think I could sell these."  Last year I tried to help and got in the way and he decided not to do anything.  This time I feel as though he has a genuinely good idea and can go far with it. What suggestions would you give a kid who wanted to earn extra money?  How would you first encourage him to market a product?  What about cost verses what he is charging?  Would you have him crunch numbers?

I honestly can't wait to see where he takes this. He's been eyeing my Dremel tool too.








4 comments:

  1. Encourage his entrepreneurial spirit but step out of the way. If he asks for advice on how to proceed with something then give it but let him work out the details. As for his unwillingness to do chores and help around the house: set a price on the jobs and have him pay whomever has to use their valuable time in cleaning up. It's the same as the real world that way - you either do it yourself or pay someone else to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I agree! I'm thinking as for chores he needs bigger paying jobs like weeding the flower bed or mowing the yard, while the rest should be for just all the food that boy can put away, I love the idea of him paying his brothers to do his chores. That's pretty clever.

      Delete
  2. Help him set up his OWN etsy account... or just a page on fb for these. Or if you have a busy neighborhood, he could always make a bunch and sell them "lemonade stand style"..... I'm proud of him (and they are crosses!!! How awesome is THAT??!!) And I don't even know him!!!!! I have friends in Ft Oglethorpe I can share with too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea too! I looked at a "shopify" account not too long ago for myself. I'm itching to make things again. This might be something he could set up on his own and we can see how it goes. If we do, definitely share with your friends. Thank you for that!

      Yes, I am loving that he wanted to make crosses.

      Delete

Show the love. Major love!