God's Not First

Friday, May 16, 2014 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments



This morning I was reading and stopped to reflect on my morning.  I was kicking myself for not putting God first, once again.  I got up, rushed the kids off to school, read and started getting ready for the day.  My day, once again, did not start with Him...or did it?

We have a chalk board in our kitchen that says: God first, Family Second, Career Third.  


I wrote it on there as a reminder to myself.  Today, while I was kicking myself God said to "STOP, I don't have to compete".  He is not in a competition with my day or my heart.  He's already claimed victory on my day and my heart.  Instead what I pictured was his presence in EVERYTHING around me, in every book page, in every picture on the wall, in every drink of water, in every breath I take in and out.  He's already first.  I do not have to run around all day trying to be a "Good Christian" and beat myself up when I think I haven't put Him first.  

If we say that God is competing for our hearts, time, day or anything then we are saying that He doesn't already own them.  We are competing with ourselves, we are setting standards based on others expectations and not His, we are the variable...He is not, He is constant.

You see, I can not stand it when I make mistakes.  I don't like letting people down.  If I make mistakes I feel that is an open door for ridicule and criticism.  Others find my weak spots, my misspellings, my misuse of time, my expressions, etc  They find them and then the devil delights in taking advantage of my own conscientiousness of these faults.  The devil wants us to feel that we are incapable of pleasing God.  I sometimes feel like God's standards are too high for anyone to achieve...especially me.  It's not easy to live holy.

I will never understand "Jesus Jukes" as Jon Acuff calls them.  The "head in the clouds", "glib-tongued" Christian who says he never experiences adversity and life is just perfect.  These people are a mystery to me...or just liars.  Is it humanly possible to please God?  OH yes, without a doubt it is!  Do you want to live in obedience?  Then tell Him you do, He needs and wants to hear it from YOUR own lips.

I have found that God is more easy to please than any person I know or ever will know.  He is consistent in His expectations, He waits and waits for us, and He has confidence in us that just does not waiver.  He knows I will return to Him.  The real truth is that we as humans are harder to please than God!  Subconsciously, it isn't Him we are trying to please, it's everyone around us. It's impossible. We become slaves to "man-pleasing".
"The fear of man bringeth a snare; but those whose who put his trust in the Lord shall be safe." Proverbs 29:25
If we were to take a moment out of our morning and focus on His goals for just that day, pleasing Him is easy.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for reminding me Aimee!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!