Day 14: Slow to Anger

Friday, October 14, 2011 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments

Head:  I read something the other day that said, "Love is hard to offend and quick to forgive."  If our love wasn't quick to forgive, my husband and I would not have been together for these last 19  years.  There are days where I wonder if this is true in our relationship though.  Like a few weeks ago, when my darling husband came home from a long day a work and barely said two words, wouldn't answer my question until he was ready and then made a comment that he knew would rub me the wrong way before going out the door.  I couldn't even react except to thrust my mop down in the water so hard the water flew of my bucket.  Only to think to myself..."why'd I do that, now I have to clean it up."  [sigh]    I know it was stupid but I anger easily sometimes.  It makes me want to scream in frustration and the ultimately I want to know what is really going through his head.  In reality, I know I need to do better.  I need to not throw that stupid tantrum and try to practice more patience and kindness.

He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit, than he who captures a city.  -Proverbs 16:32 

Heart:  Slow to anger...slow to anger...that is something I am not by nature.  My husband has known me a long time and certainly knows which button to push if he wanted to get a rise.  He knows what rubs me the wrong way and how to irritate me and I know I'm not alone.  As a "loving wife", I should be gentle and calm, cheerful and self-controlled.  I can not be these things part of the time.  I must be these things all of the time, right?  If it doesn't anger God, it shouldn't anger me because ultimately my reaction is probably what would have made God mad and not the fact that my husband didn't pick up his own laundry or call when he was going to be late.  My emotional self control would do much more for my marriage than a romantic weekend getaway (although, that would be nice) ever could.  I need to learn to quickly forgive and forget.  I need to keep my day and my life better balanced and pace myself so that I do not feel the stress of being a wife and a mom all of the time.  I need to be more grateful for the life and love that I have.

Hands:  Todays challenge is to look at your daily responsibilities to see if there is a task that needs to be removed in order to reduce stress (maybe a task that should be added to reduce stress), so that when your husband comes home you are not as quick to anger or as frustrated.  Find a private moment before you know you will see your husband face to face to gather your feelings from the day, emotions or any negativity and put a smile on your face, it will change the whole greeting. 

1 comment:

  1. Being "slow to anger" is so important yet so hard.  My kids are learning this lesson as well.  We shot a video to help them learn a memory verse about this that you might enjoy:)! http://www.youtube.com/user/mom4lifellc#p/search/0/T_0dzrMd9hk

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!