I'll Praise You In This Storm

Monday, June 13, 2011 Aimee Larsen 11 Comments

On the night of April 27th, I was in my sewing room.  I had been asked to make a few items for a Mothers Day Banquet coming up and I started with this...

I pulled together a pile of beautiful pieces of fabric and started cutting...

The fabrics were all cut and ready.  I cut the back piece to my project so I would know what shape and how many squares to layout to sew together...

I downloaded this free patter online but I can't for the life of me find the link.  I will I promise...  It was a scalloped, reversible apron pattern.

While I was working, a storm was brewing.  I would stand at my craft room window and watch the darkening sky and the churning clouds.  I think storms are so beautiful.  I wondered to myself, "Why do people get so scared of storms?"  They are lovely to look at.  I just kept sewing and ironing...all the while.  My husband had my baby boys under the stairway eating their hamburgers.

I managed to sew up the entire amount needed and then, our power went out.  I decided then it might be a good idea to find the weather radio.  We put the kids in bed after lighting the candles.  My husband and I laid in bed and listened to the weather radio.  At about 10:00 p.m. there was an announcement that the town (my town) had been destroyed by a tornado. I laid and listened in disbelief.  I had no idea what to expect but I never expected the severity of the destruction and the turn my life would take in coming days.  It's been 6 weeks, almost 7...I think it's time to finish this project.   Stay tuned for the finished product...

I will be auctioning this item on eBay to raise a little money for victims of the tornado.  It'd be nice if it brought enough to maybe buy a tank of gas or a food card for a family.   

If you have an item that you'd like to donate to the cause that I might add to the auction, please let me know?   I will pay for the auction costs on eBay if you will be willing to donate a handmade item. 

And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19

Join with me to show God's love to those still suffering this crisis.


  1. I'd love to contribute something, just let me know where to send it.

    Patricia with ZiaMariaDesigns   ziamariadesigns(at)gmail(dot)com

  2. Well, I was thinking we might be able to just post the pictures on eBay and then you could ship directly to the winner.  Do you think that would work?

  3. I'd be happy to donate something. My email is attached to my profile, so just let me know. Might not have as much traffic, but you might get by less expensive using something like Hyena cart to host the fundraiser. They also don't have the tense guidelines that ebay does about mentioning that it is a fundraiser.

    ps....I imagine this finished apron it going to be lovely and am glad you and your family are fine. I think it's wonderful that you have found a way to reach out to your community this way too! Blessings! Kristy

  4. I enjoy reading your posts so much. I also enjoy all of your projects. I am writing this just to let you know that we are praying for your town. I live in Joplin, so I know the feelings you are going through. I know the devestation, and unless you go through it, there is no words to describe it. Our home was spared, but our oldest daughter's was not. She hid in her closet with her three boy's (5,4 and 4 months) while her home was literally being torn apart around her. I am sorry that I will not be able to contribute to your auction, besides praying for its success. God Bless you

  5. In my mind, Joplin as as bad as it could get.  I have been so worried about the ones who have been missing.  It's hard enough to know there is so much destruction, but to see it is another.  The visual landmarks that you are used to when you are driving have much more significance when they are gone.  I'm so glad that your daughter and her babies are okay.  So many were not so lucky.  Having friends and family that have lost everything, puts in perspective what "everything" truly means.  There is so much strength rising up out of the towns that have been hit.  Joplin has had a special place in my heart.  I can't imagine.  If you know of anyway I can help your town, let me know.  We have had a tremendous out pouring of help in our community.  I would like be some how extend a piece of that.  God bless Joplin.

  6. We have been so blessed with an outpouring from the entire country. Right now prayers are the biggest help. Prayers that satan can not get a foothold, and begin to spread discouragement. God's hands and work have been very eveident throughout this city and even through the destruction we know that God's name is being praised. It is really an amazing thing to see.

  7. Prayers are the least and the most that I can do.  My cousin and his wife lost everything.  When they found him he was lying under a part of their house flooring.  Above him, his Bible was nailed open to Job 12 and the verse underlined was 9.  “Who among all these does not know That the hand of the LORD has done this,"   She took a picture before they pulled out the nail to retrieve the Bible..  We are all God's children and no matter the circumstances, He is with us.  Much love to you my dear. Thank you for sharing with me today.

  8. I think I will be getting in under a local charitable organization so hopefully I can avoid problems with eBay red tape.

  9. i'm so sorry! the same thing just happened to us-we were lucky, but 5 minutes down our road is total destruction-unimaginable! my thoughts are with you and your town. so nice of you to auction the apron, the fabrics are beautiful and look wonderful together.

  10. That gave me goosebumps.  I can't imagine the sense of loss in the whole community.

    I think I found the apron link...http://www.warehousefabricsinc.com/blog/reversible-scalloped-apron-tutorial/

    Yours will be beautiful!

  11. Patricia NewhouseThursday, June 16, 2011

    That's fine, I'll forward some pictures.


Show the love. Major love!