This Snake is SEW Cool!

Sunday, November 07, 2010 Aimee Larsen 0 Comments

This morning my oldest and I went to a new fabric store in search of a fabric that would pass as snake skin, at least for a stuffed toy animal anyway.  We found this dark gray quilted material half off.  He insisted on having green eyes and the tongue was a simple scrap piece of felt.
  1. I laid the 1/2 yard of fabric out so that it was at it's longest doubled over.  Think hot dog, not hamburger.  He helped me measure and trace the shape of the snake on the wrong side of the fabric while the right sides were pinned together. 
  2. I showed him how to start sewing down the lines we had drawn with a lock stitch and then showed him how to maneuver around the curves by simply stopping with the needle down, raising the foot and turning the fabric a bit.  He did an excellent job using the machine.
  3. He turned his snake out and stuffed it as he turned it and even put in a small plastic container with "nerds" inside the end of the snakes tail to make it rattle.
  4. After his snake was turned out completely and stuffed, I showed him how to sew up the open hole that was left for turning out the snake.  He took right to using a whip stitch to close the hole.
  5. Next came the paint, we use a gold laytex paint so that it would be flexible with the material.  he painted the tail of his rattlesnake and added stripes based on a picture we had found online of a rattle snake.
 I think the kid did an amazing job and and he's pretty darn proud of this creation.  His little brothers are jealous that they don't have a 4 foot long rattlesnake to play with.  I apologize for not taking pictures of the process but my camera was MIA.

0 Comments Here:

Show the love. Major love!