HomeSchool in GA? What About College?

Friday, July 09, 2010 Aimee Larsen 3 Comments

In my graduate class, I asked my professor, "What is your impression of how prepared home-schooled students are for college?"  Her answer:  "There's no middle ground, they are usually very well prepared or they are not at all; whereas MOST public school students are in the middle".  Thank goodness she said, "You have nothing to worry about."  That makes me feel better.  Plus, I'm just getting ready to start and I don't know for how long I will be able to home-school my boys.  What I do know is that I want them to be better prepared for whatever happens in life because I home-schooled them.

So, I have these questions in my head: What about college?  What about scholarships?  What about drivers licenses and employment?  These questions may not affect my children now, but they will if I find that I am continuing on with their education at home.  I also figure there will be more moms to follow in my footsteps; so, I am posting what I have found below.  Again, if you are a GA home-school mom and you know something I don't please tell me!  :)

  • GA home-schoolers have to take 7 SATII subject tests and have to obtain a certain score before they can be admitted to the college of their choice.
  • Statistically, home-school students score much higher on the SAT tests, than do public school students.
  •  Check with the colleges of your choice for their SAT requirement scores and if your child meets or exceeds, applying for admission and scholarships is your next step.
  • Children must be at least 12 years of age to work.
  • Home-school children between ages 12 - 16 need a certificate from the school superintendent
Drivers License 
  • Remember all those attendance forms I mentioned in the previous post on GA home-school they come in handy.
  • You will need to obtain a Certificate of Attendance from your superintendents office.

What if GA home-schoolers need or want to go back to public schools?

Simply re-enroll your child.  Most likely they will ask you what grade level your child is on and place your child.  In some cases, they may be asked to take a placement test or will be reevaluated after the first grading period.   


  1. I think I worry less about admittance into college, but I'm concerned about scholarships that they can earn. Especially if it's an atheletic's definately not the "easy route" to homeschool!

  2. I just found your blog and have really been enjoying the homeschooling posts!

    I'm a senior in college and credit all of my success to homeschooling. I graduate this year and have made dean's list almost every semester. More than anything, it gave me a genuine love for learning. As you mentioned in one of your previous posts, there are so many things that just can't be learned in a classroom.

    I wouldn't worry about scholarships. I was surprised by how many I was given. Every school I applied to was happy to have a homeschooled applicant. Things have changed a lot in the world of homeschooling from when I first started and I imagine things will only get better from here.

    May God bless you and your family on this exciting journey!

  3. I know this post is old, but it was linked within another post. I am not from Georgia, but I was homeschooled for very nearly my entire life. I applied to colleges as a homeschooler, and am now going into my sophomore year at my top-choice college. My tip is that if something seems unclear about a particular college's admission process, call them and ask what you should do. IE, there was a form that a teacher was supposed to fill out that made no sense filled out for a homeschooler ("compared to other students in the class, is this student below average, average, or above average?"). We called the admissions department, and she said to write "homeschooled applicant" across the top and skip any questions that didn't make sense. (She also said that, at least at this particular college, they paid more attention to SAT scores, letters of recommendation, and essays than GPA and the teacher recommendation form when the applicant was homeschooled.)


Show the love. Major love!