DIY: Fix your wicker basket.

Friday, April 16, 2010 Aimee Larsen 13 Comments


So maybe my friends really don't think I'm crazy cause they all know I'm doing something crafty.  Like when I say, "I'm tying strips of fabric to a basket." and they say, "HUH?"  They really know I'm doing something that makes sense.

See, I have this basket that I love because it's the perfect size but it was cheap and is now broken.  I'd thought bout wrapping ribbon but that just didn't work.  So, I started tying strips of fabric that were cut with a pinking blade to measure 2" x 12-14" and started tying.  As I tied, my basket started gaining new life again.


I tied, and tied and cut strips until I finally started getting the look I wanted.  Which even my 8 year old son thought was . .." Awe Mom, that's SOooo cute!".   


I tied all the way around and spaced them by the vertical rungs in the basket.  Then I cut some additional fabric to go with them and "Whaaala".

13 comments:

  1. My GOODNESS you're crafty! I would've either thrown the basket out, or, more likely, filled it with other broken stuff and put it in my garage somewhere. I'm so not crafty I don't even know what a pinking blade is!

    Anyway, thanks for stopping by my blog! I have to say, you actually make it fun to read a crafty blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're so crafty! I love how you make stuff look so easy. I dont have a crafty bone in my body, lol.

    Thanks for stopping by blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I often find broken baskets at thrift stores and wonder how I could rescue them.
    Thanks so much for stopping by my place, ddna. I love meeting new people! You are most welcome anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. adorable! you can never have too many baskets, especially ones that have that cute country look.
    thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog!

    That's such a cute idea for broken baskets- I never would have thought of that! It would even look good on non-broken ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth...I wasn't going for the "cute country look" more like the "Girly Pirate". :) Also, pinking shears or blades just make a wavy or zig zag cut. You can buy them anywhere that sells fabric and supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree whole heartedly with your son. What a creative way to save a favourite item.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea! You are too clever! And it looks so darn cute! There is a new crafty blog party happening soon...details are at my blog.

    Holly
    504 Main

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a lovely quick,easy inexpensive craft that looks...fabulous! I should head off to the discount store tomm. to greab myself that $5wicker basket =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those darn typos.
    I'm sorry, I meant 'grab'

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the correct spelling is 'Voila' which means look and see the awesome basket  everybody, in French.  My hubby is french, that is how I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Connie. I like to spell things how my family says things sometimes. Phonetically. You know. Thanks for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just what I'm lookin for, I have a large square basket, nothung wrong with and I didn't want to just throw it out, now I know what ill do with it, plus ill make a matching pillow for the inside a my doggie will have new beautiful princess bed! Thanks gor the idea!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!