Easter Eggs into Robins Eggs

Sunday, April 24, 2011 Aimee Larsen 13 Comments


A few weeks ago I was struck by my friends little glass container full of faux robins eggs.  I complimented her on it, and her newly painted buffet, and her really awesome mantle and her new paint color in her dining room and...well, you get the picture.  She's awesome!  She has my taste!  I just need to get some and start using it.

So my friend Jenny calls me and says of course, "What are you doing?" and I say, "Painting Easter eggs."  and she says..."OOOKAAAAY."  And moved on...I think my friends may be afraid to tell me I'm crazy.

 So, I really was though see.


I used my acrylic paints called Basics...I love these paints!  I started with white and added green, a tad and then a tad of Sienna and mixed.  I'd paint a few eggs and then mix  either green or sienna and change the color up a bit.  I also did cream eggs by using just the white and sienna.  I laid them open.  This was a very boring process and I had to hand paint them instead of using spray paint because I wanted a variety of colors.

Then, I speckled them.  I actually found on my second run, that I could leave the eggs laid open instead of closing them and still speckle them.
\




Next time I think I'm going to sand the edges so their isn't a visible rim and try painting them while they are closed instead of open.  I'm not sure which is best.  Here's how I speckled them.


I violently flecked the bristles of this old toothbrush.  I even found that using two hands and pulling the brush back a bit and letting the bristles go was also affective for larger splatters.  

13 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I'll have to file this idea for next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an awesome craft. I had no idea you could make something that beautiful from plastic eggs and I have TONS of those around my house. Way to go!

    Sizzle@keepthejuicesflowing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wondered how people were doing those eggs! Very cool! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Repost this next year before Easter so I will remember to try it while I have all the eggs out lol!! Good idea it looks really neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandi, I actually had to go buy some today to do this because I'd given all my eggs away for use next year. I found one store that had them boxed up ready to ship back and they were 17 cents a package. I should have bought the whole freakin' box and put them away for next year. But I only had $5.60 on me and I stretched it ALLLLL day! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I'm jealous of your pretty robins eggs. What a great touch for Spring! Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE these! Aren't you Miss Crafty? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute! What a great way to use those plastic eggs that are driving me nuts all over the house. Thanks so much for visiting my blog earlier this week. I hope you will think about joining me for First Fridays :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the eggs, they are really beautiful. I wish I took the time to craft more... I'm so jealous of mommies who do, but I never get to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting craft there! Can't believe you actually painted the eggs. I think just dipping them into a cup of food coloring would be much easier. Very creative look for that basket! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I spray painted gold onto mine this year, and put "fortunes" in them for my dinner guests.

    Then halfway through dinner came down with what turned to be strep throat and didn't enjoy it nearly as much as I meant to.

    But I think those are LOVELY and will maybe do that next year.

    Without the strep, I hope. : )

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this idea! I was wondering how I could upcycle eggs! One idea I had was to make silly putty and put it in there for a gift or home made playdough. I have the recipe for silly putty and playdough on my blog at www.apronsandapples.blogspot.com Great job! I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My friends think I'm crazy too.... doesn't stop me and I'm their first call anytime they need help with something crafty!  Love this! 

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!