Organize Your Sewing Room

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 Aimee Larsen 5 Comments

Do you sew?  Are you lucky enough to have your own sewing space or room?

Ooo, {Pause}  Join me on facebook! HERE  I have a new "fan" page which I'm SUPER tickled about every time someone joins.  :)  I thought 100 fans would be awesome but my friends have gone above and beyond.  So, join is! 
{Un - PAUSE)


I have many friends that sew or want to sew and never have the space to do so.  I say, if you put your mind to it and want it bad enough, you'll have space.  Even if that means your kids have to share a room...like mine do.  

Here is a list of tips and ideas for keeping a small space or large space organized, creatively.

Tip1 - Buy fabric in small quantities so you can do this...


I have more fabric to fold and put in them but I have found that I have a great deal of creativity in just a single piece of fabric.  I fat quarter can go a long way and doesn't take up much space.  So, when buying fabric just because you "like" it and aren't sure what to do with it, just buy small pieces.  It's like my own personal "candy store".


Tip 2 - Save those inner papers.


Want to get uniform folds out of fat quarters from different sources.  Save the cardboard pieces that come in some of the commercial fat quarters sold, like Wal-Marts Quick Cuts.  Or make your own.  Then you can fold all your fabrics to fit perfectly in your small spaces.

Tip 3: Store Buttons by color and in a spot where you can see them.

I chose to hang a peg board in my sewing room.  Think of how neat and tidy stores are when you shop, that's how organized you want your items to be.  Invest in a box of small zip top bags and a peg board.  Hand buttons strategically by color and even by style.  They'll be easy to find and right at your finger tips.  Peg boards work great in small spaces and even in closets. Use your imagination!

5 comments:

  1. Oh My Goodness you're so organized. Would you come over to my house and do that? I need help!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so jealous. My sewing room (in the basement) looks like a fabric store threw up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those shelves look great, love the peg board idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man oh man I love this! I LOVE all of your fabric so so fun!!

    Check out my awesome GIVEAWAY

    ~Morgan

    Meet Virginia Crafts
    Meet Virginia's Etsy Shop

    ReplyDelete
  5. Visiting from SITS. I love your fabric storage idea! All my fabric is in big bins all over the place. Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!