Faux Leather Wall Art the CHEAPEST Way!

Thursday, February 25, 2010 Aimee Larsen 5 Comments

Because when I go, I always find something that someone else just didn't put any imagination into and I did.

I grabbed these babies up faster than you can say "that's fast!"
That's fast, right?

All they needed was a fresh coat of...paper.
So, I got out all the scrapping paper I've collected and NEVER used, I just don't scrap anymore.  It's sad really.  I decided I wanted something with textures, I thought at first I would do the "letters" papers that are to the right and then I thought...how cool would "metal" look hanging on the wall?  See papers to the left.
See that $1.00?  Ya, that's why I love thrift stores!
I picked my paper and the direction I wanted it based on the hole in the back of the block I was recovering.  I simply traced the square and cut it out.

See!


I sprayed the front of the block, directly over the original print and I sprayed the back of the paper for a permanent hold.  Then carefully applied the paper.

Of course I did all three and varied the direction and paper that was used...


Hanging them was easy.  I lightly drew a level line where I wanted the top blocks to hang.  Then laid them in the floor face down and put a space between them.  I measured from the center of each hold to the other to know the distance I wanted them, 9".  Found the center of my wall, marked it lightly, then measured 4.5" from the center and marked it.  No heavy pins needed.  I used sewing pins because they push in easy and if I ever want to change the art work, they only leave tinee, tiny holes.  I then measured 9" from the pins straight down for the two lower blocks and there you have it.

I haven't crafted in a long time.  My spirit hasn't really been into it lately.  Must be all the school work and house work bogging me down.  I've got more to do, just need more time.  I do hope this post makes you think, that the next time you need something for your walls you'll open your imagination at the thrift store.  Also, read Thrifty Decor Chick...see link at the bottom of this site.  She's a thrift store fanatic like me. : )

5 comments:

  1. Just thrifted yesterday. I probably walked right by that purple flower! Good find! Happy SITS Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!! That is awesome. And thanks for the shout out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE IT! You have awesome ideas! Keep up the great work! Can't wait to read more! Stopping by from SITS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! how do you think of all these fun things? nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Consider me impressed! Your new art is fabulous!!!
    God's blessings on your weekend,
    Sarah :D

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!