Do you ever have days...

Monday, December 14, 2009 Aimee Larsen 8 Comments

like these?  Where you feel pretty, pulled together in a stylish way, like SJP?  I do, some days.  Not enough though.  I'm sure that SJP doesn't get her hair done by a professional stylist that comes to her home though, I"m sure she still has to go to a salon.  I on the other had have my own personal stylist.  Oh, so lucky me!
My sister-in-law does a fabulous job, it's like I'm in heaven!  To only have more days to feel like this.  To feel like the mom who can put on a pretty outfit, load the dishwasher and fold the clothes in designer shoes and be able to breath in designer jeans.  Ah,  to have a fresh face applied first thing in the morning right after the very best Starbucks has to offer.

Or do you have days like these?

I do apologize, this one is a little scary.  May be too extreme for some I'm sure but, seriously, do you have days like this?  I totally went crazy tonight!  First my kids destroyed  my house while I was so graciously working on their Christmas gifts.  But in hind sight, makes me wonder if they truly deserve them in the first place.

Ya, they do!  They're my babies.

This is one of the cases where I should hide in the close tonight and blog.  I should get down and dirty and spill my guts and tell all you blessed people that I'm not perfect.  I'm not "super mom" as a friend so randomly pointed out to me  that I am, over the weekend.  To which I responded...I'm not super mom, no one is.  Not even the Virgin Mary.  (God help me.)

So, I'm just wondering if any man big or small that lives in my house even notices my dismay, my frustration, my desire to be something more than a wife with dirty hair pulled in a pony tail, shorts that are too thin for my liking and no bra with an over sized t-shirt that makes me want to go "MOOOOO"  and I can hear my mother-in-law in my mind saying..."She's really let herself go!"  Well, today maybe ,but I did clean up for church yesterday and I might decide to shower before I actually lay down tonight.

But, I must say I do have clean sheets on my bed and a freshly flipped mattress thanks to my 4 year old who peed in my bed while taking a nap.  My freshly repaired ceiling in the kitchen was not ruined again by water tonight because I made it to my bathtub just in time with an arm load of towels to mop up the so generously splashed water from the bubble bath by candle light my kids were having. (Yes, bubble bath by candle light means = I did try to have a peaceful evening).

So I'm wondering if that mom on Desperate Housewives had the right know what I'm talking about, right?

Anyway, I don't know what to do about tomorrow but I do know one thing.  I've said my prayers.  All the way too and from Target tonight to get pull-ups because we were out, I prayed.  I prayed that God help me be the mother the He wants me to be, which is the mother that I so desperately want to be.  I want Him to set my priorities straight and to not lose my mind ever again.  It hurt to bad to feel my heart beat as hard as it did.  I haven't cried like that in ages.  Probably since I was a little girl.   I don't know what is happening to me.  I know why, but not what.

So, do you ever?


  1. Oh honey! We all have days like this! Trust me, I have more days like this than I'd like to admit. I appreciate your frankness. If you stop by my blog you can read one of my first entries...Almost 3 yr old free to a good home...
    Yep. We all have days like this (((Hugs)))
    Hang in there, tomorrow's a new day. And definitely celebrate the little victories :)

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Oh my goodness how is it possible that we had the same exact day. Mine had more to do with my daughter not getting ready this morning for school. After repeated promptings I just lost it and started yelling. I have felt guilty all day and even thought about pulling her out of school to let her know that I really really do love her. I feel like such a bad mom some days!
    Your solution is the same as mine. All I can think to do is pray pray pray and hope I can make this all better.

  4. This sounds just like my WEEK! Yesterday I had TWO wet beds - the baby's diaper leaked in the crib and my daughter had an accident in our bed. The other day my sister asked me if I'm pregnant again (I'm not). I don't know how many times I've mopped up my daughter's bath-time tidal waves. My house looks like it was hit by a hurricane. But I wouldn't trade my kids for anything in the world :)

  5. I am totally right there with you. I sometimes wonder what is the point in putting on makeup or even waering things that look nice, cleaning the house seems to be a waste of time as it only remains clean for as long as the kids arent here. This week has been rough. The only thing worse then your kids being sick, is your kids being sick and you being sick too but still you have to care for them and rest for you is a dream that just wont come true. I forever feel I am running uphill and never reach the top. I feel guilty when I complain to matt who "works" all day and deals with all kinds of stuff that would seem much harder to deal with than anything I do, but there is something for the fact that when he is home he is off work. I never am. If I am sick, I still have to go in, If I am tried, doesnt matter, if I dont want to do something, if it needs to be done I have to do it. So, I totally get what you mean. I very rarely have those put together days, most of mine are just getting through another day and than to get up and do the same thing over and over. I know its wrong but sometimes I envy people who work. I feel like I would be more sane that way lol!!! Anyway I know what you mean. Mabye one day when our kids grow up we can all go do fun stuff all day and look really good doing it lol!

  6. Every mom has days like this. Whoever tells you different is totally lying.

  7. Love this post~ thanks for your honesty! Every mom has days (or weeks, or months...) like this, but the awesome thing is that we choose to give it to God and let him deal with it: to mold us into the mom he wants us to be. 'Glad you're having a better day today. Blessings!

  8. Yes, it is so very true that ALL moms have days like this. If a mom tells you she doesn't, then she is lying or on happy pills! My boys are now 22 and 18 and I still have days like the one you had. My motto is "this too shall pass" and despite having a chaotic life, I still tried/try to find a few moments for myself. Even if it meant going out to my car and locking myself in for a few minutes to just chill out, pray or meditate. They never seemed to find me there like they did if I tried secluding myself somewhere in the house! Closed doors meant nothing. It is so important to have some downtime even if it is only 5 – 15 minutes. Every minute counts. Hang in there, turn it all over to God and He will see you through all the ups and downs. The wet bed phase does eventually end! Trust me, that is an area I know all too well!


Show the love. Major love!