T-Shirt Shrug - Easy Peasy Sewing and Repurposing

Wednesday, November 11, 2009 Aimee Larsen 5 Comments

I love any excuse NOT to go buy clothes if I don't have too.  This morning I put on an old trusty white T-shirt and black pants.  If you know me, you know I love black and white because they go with EVERYTHING (oh and sometimes brown).  Maybe that's my way of making a multifunctional wardrobe.  Don't get me wrong Ilove my TJ Max. They have the best accessories!  HA!
So, I'd been dying to do this project for ages and this morning I found an excuse to do it!

This little project was so easy.  I didn't use a T-Shirt because I wanted long sleeves but I have tons of them that are fixing to get a new life and don't think I'm not going to dress them up with roses and ruffles or poppies.

Do you have one of these gadgets?  I bought these ages ago at our local fabric store and they work much better on bigger projects than a safety pin.  Oh yeah, you might want these...

Basically, you want to cut straight up the middle of the shirt and then cut off the collar.

Fold the front edges in 1" and iron down, do the same around the neck line.

Sew the edges down from one end to the other

Run your ribbon through, I cut mine at about 1 & 1/2 yards. 

Oh and did I mention that I look thinner wearing this...I was afraid I would look fatter for some reason and not be able to show you.


  1. So cute! I am totally going to try this soon~ especially if it can make this 'post-babies-body' look thinner! =) Happy Wednesday!

  2. so simple, yet so cute! you've done it again!
    i wish my sewing machine weren't broken :(

  3. I can't wait to try this! I've always had a love affair with cardigans...

  4. This is like the most awesome thing/idea I have seen in forever! I am much like the other commentors & have an addiction to cardigans & shrugs!!! God bless you & your family, your ideas & your love of our Saviour Jesus Christ!!

  5. Love it!  I am headed to Goodwill tomorrow to find some cute shirts to do this with to maybe wear with prom dresses.  We are doing a project with our youth group to make prom dresses more modest.  They are all strapless at the store!  I am excited to show this to the girls.  Thanks for sharing.


Show the love. Major love!