Not My Momma's Watergate Cake!

Thursday, November 26, 2009 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments

Well, of course I as a grown woman with children, you would think I would learn to do exactly as my mother says, right?  Well, wrong!  I can not do exactly like my mother says, not for spite but simply for the opportunity to take something old and classic and flip it around in my mind and make it my own.

I think it looks much yummier now that it would have in a pyrex dish with the icing poured on it.  I hope I don't get in trouble.  So, here's the recipe of my mom's with a touch of my own flair (well, if you'd call it "flair").

Water Gate Cake


  • 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup shortening
  •  3 eggs
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  •  1 Box of Pistachio Pudding Mix
  • 1/2 cup of chopped pecans
Now Mix It
Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Cut in shortening until fine crumbs are formed. Add eggs, milk, and vanilla. Beat at low speed for 1 minute, then high for 2 minute.  Slowly add pudding mix and pecans, scraping the bowl frequently.

Pour batter into greased and floured 2, 8" or 10" round pans. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven (175 degrees C) for 25 to 30 minutes. 
 Make the Icing
  •  1/2 cup of sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 box of Pistachio Pudding Mix
  • 3 cups of Powdered Sugar
  • 9 oz of Cool Whip or any whipped topping
  • 1/2 cup of chopped pecans1 cup of sour cream
Beat everything together, except pudding for a few minutes.  Put pudding in and stir until frosting stands in peaks    Sprinkle a few pecans over the top.  Ice Cake and Refrigerate over night.

1 comment:

  1. My Grandma use to make Watergate Cake, it has always been my favorite!!! Your recipe is a bit different than mine, but it looks yummy!


Show the love. Major love!