DIY Fabric Roses or Poppies Tutorial

Saturday, October 24, 2009 Aimee Larsen 12 Comments


Early last spring I knited this hat for a gift this upcoming Christmas for a new little addition to my extended family.  I've been waiting for the perfect idea for an embellishment.  I ran across pictures of similiar roses online that where used for tiny little baby things and thought they'd be perfect only I wanted mine to be bigger.  You know, for the tiniest little diva.
Here's how.

You'll need to cut 4 graduated sizes of a synthetic satin.  I upcycled a pair of polyester pants in a bright and shiny fuschia.  I love the idea of upcycling clothing!
They don't have to be perfect circles but do the best you can.

Use a steady flame and be careful not to get burned.
Take your circle shiny side facing the flame and let the flames tip, kiss the edge of the fabric.  You will see that as it heats, the edge will melt.  Let the flame heat the fabric just inside that edge to gently encourage it to turn inward.

Once you've finished all of your pieces you'll have a nice stacked set of petals.
Pick a pretty button, I wanted one with more sparkle but couldn't find one in my stash.  You could even handstich these little circles together and put a drop of hot glue in the center and sprinkle with glass beads.  Just do what you think you'll like most.

Cut your petals from felt and using upholstery or silk thread, stitch all the pieces together onto your accessory.   I'm thinking headbands, hats, belts, and even shoes.  I might have to make a set to dress up a pair of old heels.  The end result is so much more beautiful in person.



12 comments:

  1. I think these are so pretty. I have been seeing them more and more and might just have to try someout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is lovely, Aimee! How clever of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great, thanks so much for sharing. I will put it on my list of things to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are very pretty! Thanks for the great tutorial, I'll defniitely be making some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! They turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Andrea @ Addicted2tutesThursday, May 05, 2011

    Just found your site and LOVE it! Especially the sewing posts - thanks for all the amazing tutorials!

    Andrea
    www.addicted2tutes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kathrina HoldrenTuesday, May 31, 2011

    I love this idea!!!I just tried it and mine came out awesome!!!thank you soo soo much for this idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you post directions for the hat?

    ReplyDelete
  10. it seems a bit dangerous is there another way without candle?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wondered whether cutting with a soldering iron would produce the same effect?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Moo, maybe it is too late now, but I tried the candle. It is not dangerous if you keep an eye on your hands. If the synthetic satin starts to burn, you can easily blow the fire out or if you are afraid just do it on a stone underground and let the satin fall down. When there is no satin left, it stops burning.
    An I think we are all no 4 year old children to do this.


    @ Francesbforever, If you do it with your iron, you might ruin it with it. Since synthetics is like plastic when it melts.


    I am being a clumsy person and I could get lovely flowers with that. If your eyes and hands work well and you are no child no more, there won't happen anything.


    To get a feeling for it, if you are afraid that you will burn your hands or so, cut off a few inches of that fabric you will use and try out which distance you have to hold to get a nice effect.


    On white or cream flowers, you can get a nice burnt touch by just move it like waves into the flames.


    Absolutely amazing effects!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!