Product Review: Bumpits

Friday, August 21, 2009 Aimee Larsen 9 Comments

First I want to show you my treasures I received today.
1. Metal plates (2 yellow & 2 orange) 
2. Fabric and Resin Bowl, very old!
3. Homemade Strawberry Jam
4. 150 year old platter
5. New Fat Quarters
6. Ceramic Pears
8. Black Dye for my shirts
9. Tune in Soon for the reveal of this one!  Let me just say I'm still to cheap for Upper case living but i'm highly excited about this gift I received!
okay, so 1, 2, 3, & 4 are the results of visiting my Memaw today!  Thank You Memaw!
Now, for the product review!  I've NEVER done this before so I hope I do it in a way that will help you decide if this product is for you. 
I was so EXCITED to find Bumpits at our local Wal-Mart.  The infomercials and website make you want to run out and buy these.  They look so EASY!  They look like miracle workers.  Well, here's what it did for me.
First, I opened the box, which was $9.98 at Wal-Mart, so I saved a ton buying it there.
The packaging is very appealing...see!
A few posts I ago I had a link to some old fashioned hairstyles and they used similar products years and years ago call "rats".  They were usually felt covered though.
So, that peaked my interest in these.
I only tried the medium and large, not the small.  Keep in mind that my hair is thin.
It wasn't always but it is now.  I hope the image overload actually helps.
due to the result of children playing with my camera my resolution was turned way down...sorry!
I know I look like cousin "It".  Here is the medium bumpit and below is the large bumpit.
This is the medium bumpit.  I HAD to pull my hair back, it would not stay for me like in the commericals without pulling it back.  Below is the larger bumpit.
I also had a hard time getting my hair smooth on top without raking out the bumpit with my comb.  You can see how thin my hair is getting.  I think it's time to start using thickening shampoo again.  :(
Can you tell there is more lift?

Here's my only problem, if I pull it slightly too tight, you can see the teeth in the comb.  Now, if your hair is thicker this may not happen at all but for me the purpose of using the Bumpit was to give the appearance of fuller hair, right?
So, I teased a little more and then pulled it back a little more loosely.
So, I can say that once you get the Bumpit in, it's very light and you don't feel like you have something on your head.  I do wish it was as easy as the commericals.  Is this something you would use?  I'm not going for the HUGE hair but, I'm thinking the lift might be nice for some styles.  Oh and I wish it where flexible over my head.  I think it's a little small and it doesn't fit smoothly against my head.  So, I'm thinking having it be a little more flexible would be nice and give a better fit.  Or maybe have a different size for big heads, I don't know.  
So, since this is my first product review I hope it went well for you.  I'd like to know if this is something you now would like to run out and try or just forget about all together.  
Let me know!
Leave a comment!
I love them!


  1. My sister bought a bumpit and she also has very thin hair. She has practiced with it enough that she loves it now, and it's apparently very easy for her to use. She even went out dancing at a club and it stayed put. I have very THICK hair and I haven't played around with it too much, mainly because I hate to tease my hair, but the few times I have used it, I liked it.

    I love the idea of product reviews! Good job!

  2. My kids are "dying" to get a Bumpits! lol. I may just try it for them. Thanks for the review.

  3. It is nice to hear what others think before I go out and purchase something that is a bit of an OOP expense and maybe not be happy with it. Thanks so much for this idea on your website, looking forward to reading more.

  4. I used to be really involved in theatre as a a director and costumer. We used 'Rats' which were these
    They were comfy, easy to use and affordable. You might try them.

  5. James just informed me that these are like a lift, like a jack, like i"m jacking my hair up! I'm dying here, that's TOO funny!

  6. I've been wanting to get one and have really thin ("fine hair" according to my stylist) hair too. Thanks for the review. I might have to get one. Except my hair is kind of short right now so I dont know if it would fly.

  7. Bumpits are looking fantastic!!!I love the idea of product reviews! Good job!

    Get the best FREE offers on the Best Home security Systems

  8. thanks for your review....I have wanted to try some of these cute styles but I'm just too cheep to spend the $10.00 on something I'm not sure will work. I recently found the Bupits people were giving them away. Free is always better so now I look forward to trying it out for myself.

  9. Great review.. it looks good on you..I'm still waiting for mine to come in the mail


Show the love. Major love!