Chalkboard Paint In Any Color You Can Dream!

Friday, July 31, 2009 Aimee Larsen 10 Comments

So, I've been working on a new idea for the kids room and I thought...hmmm
can any color paint be chalkboard paint!
SURE!  It Can!
Here's how!
P.S. This is adapted from Martha's version because her version did not work for me!!
 Recipe
You do need a flat finish latex paint.
----------
1. Pour 1 quart of paint into a larger container with a lid. Add 1/2 cup of unsanded tile grout which I found at our local ACE but any home improvement store will have it and the paint.. Shake!  You have to shake and shake and you may even have to stir out a few clumps.  Let it sit for about an hour to get rid of the bubbles and then stir gently.
2.  Paint rollers do not work as well as sponge rollers.  I have also used a brush for a different texture.
You will need 2 to 3 coats but make sure each is completely dry.
3. There is no need to smooth with sandpaper.  If the texture isn't as smooth as you'd like, use steel wool.  After 24 hours of drying the last coat completely you may use your surface.  Martha says condition your surface but I found there was no need for that if I was going to clean with a damp sponge anyway.
--------
Tips
This is paint so you can be creative with your colors and with painters tape.
I'm using an old door for my surface, also my kitchen table is getting a coat or two. ; )  There are probably great objects stowed away in your house, basement, garage that you could use.
Take your time and get the paint as smooth as possible.

Or you can skip the mixing and buy colored chalkboard paint here for $24.95 a quart...whoa.

10 comments:

  1. I've thought about doing this for sometime now, so thank you for the recipe! For the lazy, rich people, Home Depot sells the Rust-Oleum Tintable Chalkboard Paint, but I think there's only 12 colors, and it's like $15 for a small amount. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com. thanks for so mant great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linked to your post at cupkateer.blogspot.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! Thanks so much for letting me know about this. I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome! Thank you so much for sharing, I can't wait to play.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know this was possible! thanks! too bad, i have the sanded grout on hand....

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY!!!!! I am in love with chalkboard paint, but not in love with black chalkboard paint for my sweetie's pinky pink room Thanks so very, very much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this recipe. It's been on my to-do list forever! I love the idea of chalkboard...everywhere!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this idea and will have to try it out! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That recipe for chalkboard paint is verbatim from Martha Stewart. Why didn't you credit her? If you don't believe me, google it. Shame on you.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!