The Coolest DIY Memo Board EVER!

Saturday, June 27, 2009 Aimee Larsen 3 Comments

First I want to thank all of you for your suggestions!
I kind of took ideas from all of them to make this.
Someone suggest a peg board...
someone suggested a memo board with ribbons...
someone suggested corkboard and the list goes on!
If it weren't 2:30 in the morning it may have turned out a little more symmetrical.
However, cutting peg board is not an easy thing to do, especially when a simple square or rectangle will not do.
I of course made a huge mess trying to cut my peg board.
I used a scrapbooking motif as my inspiration.
I traced, measured and cut as best I could with a heavy duty box cutter.  I could NOT find my drimel tool to save my life.
I then wrapped the front with a large piece of foam and batting, gluing them down.
Then it took me forever to decide on a fabric.
At first I was going for some sage green satin but it wouldn't cooperate.
So I opted for my old standby.  I don't know why I love this linen print but I do!
Let me just say that, thank God hot glue does come off of fingers.
But OUCH!
So, I carefully eased the fabric around the edges of my die cut board.
trimming away the excess.
I then covered a HUGE button with that sage green satin that I love!
Bridesmaids of mine...do you recognize that fabric???
Anywhoo!  I sewed the covered button to the center of my board; because it was a peg board, all I need was strong silk thread and a small button!
 
Here's the button and I added dark chocolate, grosgrain ribbon, crisscrossing it across the memo board and under the button.  I hot glued each end of the ribbon behind the board.
I can use the ribbons to secure small, flat note cards and memos.  I can use my sewing pins to pin items directly to the foam under the board.
To hang the board, I simply used two light weight picture hangers.
I drew a level line and measure a space 10" exactly a part.
Because the peg holes are exactly an 1" apart, this board
hung perfectly and with ease!
Now, please excuse any typos, it's going on 3:00 am and I'm all tired with a huge mess to clean up.
 
Thanks so much for all the suggestions...
Now I just need to figure out how I want to hide my cables and cords under my desk...see "post" below.
I just love you guys for all your ideas.  I'm pleased with my workable, wall art!

3 comments:

  1. I love it!!!

    Glad to know I'm not the only late night crafter and blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, but I would pad it
    oh and ty

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!