Making a Cover for a Moses Basket

Wednesday, May 27, 2009 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments


This Moses Basket needing to be recovered. It was going to be reused and the old covering didn't match the nursery theme or colors. This process wasn't as hard as it seemed.
Here are the steps!
1. Using butcher paper or paper off of a large roll (even old wrapping paper), line the sides of the basket from mid way at the head of the basked all the way around to midway of the foot of the basket, there's no need to go all the way around. You can measure to find the mid points if necessary.
2. Work the paper into the bottom of the basket so that you can trace around the inside first. You'll want to get the shape of the bottom, making sure that the paper sits flush against the sides of the basket. Which means your paper in the bottom will be scrunched a little.
3. Next you'll want to trace the top, with the paper still flush against the bottom and sides.
Hint: Use straight pins to secure it, they'll go right into the reed sides of the basket and hold well. Trace the top which usually has a curve two it, the head of the basket is usually taller than the foot but not always.
4. Now you have your pattern for the bumper pad, you'll make that pad like you would any other bumper pad. I added panels like below with appliques.

The panels can be cut from the traced pattern but be sure to add a seam allowance of 1/4" or greater.
5. When cutting your fabric using your traced pattern, always cut outside your pattern line to allow for your seam allowance, I used a 1/3" on all sides.
The backing of the bumper pad is a plain cotton that I quilted to quilt batting.
6. You'll then want to cut the bottom, Trace the inside bottom using the paper and cut out the shape, then cut out that shape using 2" or 3" foam sheets. You'll then make a cover to fit over that foam sheet. I put a zipper in the side so it can be removed and washed.

My zebra was appliqued using a micro-suede in a bone color and the giraffe is a appliqued using a mini-corduroy. I was thinking of adding the monkey. You can get the appliques from www.designsbyjuju.com.
I added the ribbons before finishing the bottom of the bumper pad so I'd know just were to add them so the pad would be as flush as possible to the sides.
Okay! Since I couldn't find a better tutorial online, I'll just have to make one myself for you guys. As soon as I do, I'll let you know.

1 comment:

  1. Can I be like you when I grow up?? You are so creative and talented!

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!