Created to be His Help Meet

Friday, March 06, 2009 Aimee Larsen 7 Comments


In my opinion I have the worlds best husband.  It kind of makes me feel bad for the wife I've been in the past.  Up until several years ago I expected him to work a full time job and then come home and help me.  Since I've reevaluated my purpose as a wife and mother I've found that it was supposed to be the other way around all along.  I found that if I helped him instead of expecting him to help me I ended up with the marriage I wanted.  My husband works and works all week, 60 plus hours no less.  I was offended not to long ago by a comment that never made it to my blog posting from a reader who said her husband is supposed to help her, if he wants clean undies...he can wash them.  It was almost like she took offense to me doing for my husband and my family.  

The fact remains that
I love this man!
I love the life we have!
I love our family!
I love our home!
a few years ago I could not say this!
I think my problem was always that I wanted what I wanted.  I didn't want for my family or my husband what God wanted for them.  I found that because I loved them so much I was willing to put God first and boy did it change things. 
I'm the wife I want to be.
I'm calm.
I'm patient.
I feel more incontrol instead of less.
I am loving.
I am no longer demanding.
the list goes on and on.
Now, I can't say that I wouldn't want a husband that brought home roses or was romantic but I can say that everyday that he gets up and goes to work and works 12 hour shifts and then some...that's my valentines card, that's my box of chocolate, that's my bed of roses.  I do enjoy dinners out...I do enjoy time with him alone.  It's few and far between but that makes the time more precious.
I watch my tongue.
If I want it done and I'm capable of doing it, I do it.
I say kind words.
I TRY, really TRY!
I catch myself.  I feel bad.  I want him to be proud of me.  I'm proud of him.  It is my divine calling to be his wife.  He's a gift to me and I to him and I want to keep it that way.  He is my Mr. Right!  He loves me.  I feel cherished not desperate.  I have a thankful spirit not a poor me attitude.  I am content...and practice makes perfect.  Why?  Why am I all these things?
God gave them to me.  
I asked for the marriage I wanted...a Godly marriage.
A healthy one.
That's what I got!
I love that man!
I pray that all my married friends have the marriage they want, God wants.

7 comments:

  1. I would love to be able to say this. I don't feel like I have that kind of relationship with my husband and I crave it. I work just as much as my hubby and I drive further because this is the job I need to have to help us pay bills. Yet I am the one who does all the cooking and cleaning. I am going to drive even harder to be his help meet. Thank you, you have encouraged me today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted this. I have been thinking the same things lately. I feel like the times when I let God work in my life - everything in my life it so much better. I cherish my husband. I feel like a princess everyday. I am so glad God sent him to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful and encouraging post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I could have written this too! My husband works his butt off for us, and all people can say sometimes is, I don't know how you can stand it, he's such a workaholic! Noooo, he's not. He works so we can have the life we do. And when he is with us, he is WITH US. Once we get our debt paid off, he'll be around here more than any of their husbands anyway!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is BEAUTIFUL. So encouraging.

    I know exactly how you feel when you say "I want him to be proud of me." It's not out of selfish need - you are just SO PROUD to be his wife that you want to make him feel the way he makes you feel. I want to make Super Dad proud too - I am so thankful for him.

    God has been so good to us! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should read the book The Love Dare! I'm reading it right now with my husband and it is really amazing. It speaks to the "agape love" that you are mentioning in this post. Through God you are able to love your husband perfectly and exactly as God wants you to, but you can't love perfectly without God's help. It's from the Christian movie, "Fireproof" that came out last year with Kirk Cameron. LOVE IT and I definitely reccommend the movie and book. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!