27 days and counting...

Thursday, February 26, 2009 Aimee Larsen 10 Comments

My husband was told Tuesday that he may not have a job in 30 days...how do you process that kind of information...how do you not pass blame...it's really not James fault.  Then I got this e-mail today.


Louise Redden, a poorly dressed lady with a look of defeat on her face, walked into a grocery store.

She approached the owner of the store in a most humble manner and asked if he would let her charge a few groceries.

She softly explained that her husband was very ill and unable to work, they had seven children and they needed food.

John Longhouse, the grocer, scoffed at her and requested that she leave his store at once.

Visualizing the family needs, she said : 'Please, sir! I will bring you the money just as soon as I can.'

John told her he could not give her credit, since she did not have a charge account at his store.

Standing beside the counter was a customer who overheard the conversation between the two. The customer walked forward and told the grocer that he would stand good for whatever she needed for her family.  The grocer said in a very reluctant voice, 'Do you have a grocery list?'

Louise replied, 'Yes sir.' 'O.K' he said, 'put your grocery list on the scales and whatever your grocery list weighs, I will give you that amount in groceries.'

Louise hesitated a moment with a bowed head, then she reached into her purse and took out a piece of paper and scribbled something on it. She then laid the piece of paper on the scale carefully with her head still bowed.

The eyes of the grocer and the customer showed amazement when the scales went down and stayed down.

The grocer, staring at the scales, turned slowly to the customer and said begrudgingly, 'I can't believe it.'

The customer smiled and the grocer started putting the groceries on the other side of the scales. The scale did not balance so he continued to put more and more groceries on them until the scales would hold no more.

The grocer stood there in utter disgust. Finally, he grabbed the piece of paper from the scales and looked at it with greater amazement.

It was not a grocery list, it was a prayer, which said :

'Dear Lord, you know my needs and I am leaving this in your hands.'

The grocer gave her the groceries that he had
gathered and stood in stunned silence.

Louise thanked him and left the store.  The other customer handed a fifty-dollar bill to the grocer and said; 'It was worth every penny of it. Only God Knows how much a prayer weighs.'

THE POWER : When you receive this, say a prayer. That's all you have to do.

Just stop right now, and say a prayer of thanks for your own good fortune.  Then please send this to all your friends and relatives.

I believe if you will send this testimony out with prayer in faith, you will receive what you need God to do in your and your families' life .

So dear heart, trust God to heal the sick, provide food for the hungry, clothes and shelter for those that don't have as we do. Amen & Amen

I have to add...I think what bothers me most is when James said, I'm going to pray for my boss...now that's not what bothers me...that part was awesome!  What bothers me is that his boss is an atheist and thinks we are simple minded people for believing in a God that can fix our lifes problems and cares about us.  I think it's simple minded to believe "we live...we die...the end".  Pray for us, pray for him!  I'd do the same for you!


  1. I hope your husband doesn't lose his job, but if so maybe something better is on the horizons. I try to think of adversity as just a stepping stone to something successful. As for his boss, have hope for the man. I'm just saying being married to one of those guys. ;)

  2. So, does this mean for sure he wont have a job, how can you tell someone you "might" not have a job, i am praying for you guys.

  3. I will be praying for you, your family and James's boss.

    I have a post bumping around in my head about the economy and the world right now. It may never make it to publishing, but at least it's there. So, while it nags at me, I'll pray about the situation. That way, I'll at least accomplish something!

  4. Wow! what a wonderful story.... I am sitting here in tears. God can work in wonderful ways. When you think you have it bad there is someone else that is always worse off than you. God will provide!!!!

  5. what a wonderful story....and I think it's those like his boss...who need our prayers most of all....and it's hard to give it over...but God has a plan....and it will be okay.....

  6. I am praying for your family!!!! God can see us through any situation!

  7. Hi Aimee,

    I understand where you're coming from--my husband was a casualty of corporate downsizing last July--he was told about a month in advance. He is still searching for employment. I wrote a little about it on my blog in a post titled "Waiting". Check it out, if you'd like--the poem I shared may give you some hope. Here is the link

    Keep the faith...Bev

  8. WOW. That is powerful.

    I will most certainly be lifting you guys up in prayer!!! (((HUGS)))

  9. I've always believed that if God shuts one door, it is only to open another.
    I Will certainly keep you all in my prayers.

  10. You guys!!! You are all SO sweet! Thank you! Since I've had a couple of talks with God, I've realized that unless I have Faith that it's in his hands, I won't have peace. So, pray also that I completely give this over too him!


Show the love. Major love!