Life with NO Cell phone?!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 Aimee Larsen 4 Comments

Alright, ALL READY!
So a few of my friends have really been harassing me to explain why I don't have a cell phone.  Do I really have to justify this to people?  Yes, even my 82 year old grandmother has a cell phone.  Can you live without one?  I didn't think I could.  But to me, it's kind of like the "cheeseburger experiment" or whatever that guy called it that ate at McDonalds everyday.  I didn't start off on a mission to prove that we didn't need cell phones, I was forced into not having one.  Here's the story...
Darling husband decided in October that we weren't going to have cell phones.  I was pi~~ed!  I was pretty mad about it but then I realized, I didn't need it.  Actually, it was very selfish of me to expect my husband to keep me with a cellphone.  Which, by the way, does not work at our house.  No one can come to our "dead zone" and use their cell phones. So, the first week was a big deal and my new business cards had my number one them...oh well!  It didn't work at home anyway.  One of my friends said we should be in a verizon commercial...I said...I dare verizon to show up here.
Now here's why it's been a blessing...
1. When I go to the store, I concentrate on the task at hand and I'm not distracted.
2.  When I go to the store, I do what I'd come to do and then hurry home.
3. I make phone calls before I leave the house, so I'm not talking and driving.
4.  I plan my outings and trips to be more efficient so I'm back home ASAP.
5.  If I don't want to be bothered while out to dinner with my husband, goal achieved!
6. I talk to my children when I'm in the car instead of talking to friends.
7.  I listen to my radio and actually enjoy it.
8.  I talk to strangers at the park instead of calling a friend because they are familiar.
9.  My life has been simplified!!!
10.  I feel that if my mom could raise us kids without a cell phone, why can't I do the same.
11.  We have no cell phone service at our house anyway, so we aren't paying for service we don't get.
12.  If I call 911 from home using a landline, I know they'll find me (unlike what TV will have you believe can happen with cell phones, they're just not that accurate, really!)
13. I use that time to talk God!
14. I feel closer to my friends because if I want to see them, they come over or I go see them.
15.  When I'm out, I don't worry about what everyone else is up to.
16. I feel more responsible, leaving numbers to places I'll be when necessary.
17.  I can still reach anyone by way of phone, every store has one and so do all my friends.
18. I've been humbled.
19. Still have a phone book, alarm clock, calendar & voice recorder, and even a camera.
20.  It's one less thing to keep up with!
21. It saves my hardworking husband money!
So, while you're sitting there thinking I'm crazy and how cell phones make your life so convienant, remember it's probably been a long time since you've tried it, and you might just like it.  I have!
Also, I can go right now today and get another phone service but right now, I don't need it.
I told James the other night, "look, I'm blessed to get to stay home with my babies while you work.  You work 70 hours a week so that we have nice things, heat, water, a roof, clothes, etc and it's just you.  I'm not working, I don't have to have a nice car, fancy clothes, fine dining, I have my babies and my husband and everything I need."  I also explained that I'm proud of him for paying off so much debit in the last few years and that now we can see the light at the end of the tunnel and it feels good.  I'm actually afraid of debit now or buying anything big.  I actually told him "NO" to a new car a week ago, simply because it wasn't what we wanted despite the awesome deal he would be getting.  I don't mind waiting until my babies are back in school and I go back to work.  I don't mind saving that money, putting it away, paying our house off, whatever we can do with it.  The only thing I don't want to lose is my internet!  It's my touchstone to the world.  But, I'm sure if the time came and he decided we needed to live on a self sustainable farm, I'd move, I'd do it and I'd love it!


  1. All very good points....Then there are me and Juice...where we only have cell phones...and haven't had a land line in years....

  2. Congrats on simplifying. What a wonderful example for your children!

  3. You know to be honest, I could too... I would agree with alot of your points..

    Hats off to ya, to both of ya!

  4. I don't have one either. That's only because I don't have anybody to talk to. And the people I have to talk to I don't wanna talk to so it works out great.


Show the love. Major love!