How to be a SAHM (Stay at Home Mom)

Sunday, November 09, 2008 Aimee Larsen 1 Comments

(Me a SAHM not staying home)
This does seem like a weird or broad title for a blog post, right?? Well, a sweet friend of mine just recently decided to stop working and stay home and be a partner in her husbands ministry. Brave Woman... I remember how hard it was the very moment I decided I wasn't going back to work after having Cooper. It wasn't the decision that was hard for me, it was the realization that my husband would be our soul provider. Bless him! He didn't want it any other way. So, when this friend asked me what I do in order to be able to stay at home, I thought...GEEZ, there are whole websites on this. I used to read them and take notes and create notebooks but ultimately, all of those efforts are thrown out the window the first time money troubles come around the corner. Usually, it has more to do with a surprise cut in pay at my husbands work and not anything he could have helped. So, how do you prepare for that? I can say that my life as a SAHM and his life as a workaholic has taken a toll on us financially, personally and our relationship with each other. Through it all, it's just important to acknowledge each other efforts and DO NOTHING to inhibit the other for doing their very best and NEVER put the other down when their very best isn't sufficient at the time. We've both done it and it's torn at us. So after 6 and 1/2 years of being a SAHM that would be my number one piece of advice. What are the others? Well, I don't shop. I don't spend extra money, ever. I buy what we need when we need it and if we have the money. We've STOPPED using credit for anything, it's not worth it. I've been humbled. I've also realized how very blessed we are. We have a beautiful house and three great boys. So if you want more help on being a SAHM, there are great websites like http://www.cafemom.com/ with wonderful groups of women giving advice and supporting each other. I always have to stay focused on why I'm doing without things. It won't be long until all my babies are in school and I can be a teacher again. For now, I LOVE being a SAHM.
P.S. I really do have to stay home and only go riding around when I have too.

1 comment:

  1. It is for sure being a SAHM, you have to do without the "wants"..

    We do have what we need though.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!