Freedom & Papaws & Coffee Cups

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 Aimee Larsen 4 Comments

Yesterday, I was so touched to see the flags going up in my hometown. The high school ROTC was working to get them all up before today. So, I thought I'd get out of the car and take some quick pictures. For several years I've looked for my Papaws flag during every occasion that it was put out.
I then decided to drive down to our county courthouse to see the flags there. I half thought I'd look for Papaws flag but it was probably down by the highway like the last time I saw it and I'd miss it again.
I started snapping a few pictures of the courthouse, aren't the flags majestic? I stepped in closer.
I snapped this picture of the courthouse steps and flags and then realized, right there in front of me was my Papaw's flag. My heart stopped. I became so overwhelmed with emotion I just started bawling right in front of the courthouse. It was like my Papaw had been right there waiting for me to find his flag.
I still get emotional! It's election day...who would he vote for? He fought in WWII. Gave up so much for his family and country as a young man. He was a farmer, a father, a husband, a brother, a grandfather and so much more than those titles. Papaw, I miss you.
I stood back to take a look at his flag before leaving and decided for one last shot and this one just speaks to me..."I'll be right here. I'll stand tall. I'll stand proud. I'm waiting on you". My Papaw was a good man who loved the Lord and I know he's with Him now. I know his young spirit is no longer bound down by a human body and that he gets to see Jesus. Something I only dream about. So, this flag standing straight, tall, proud, not alone, and waiting is exactly what he's doing now. I know it. I was making my coffee this morning and pulled out my coffee cups. These are the cups I love and an old McDonald's one. These were my Papaws. Granny was going to sell them at a yard sale but I had to have them and she gave them too me. I wish I had the one he drank out of everyday but it was broken long ago. It was 12 years ago in August that he left us. I was 18 and so torn. Now, as I get up this morning, I find that little things about my Papaw still remain to remind me of him. That being said....
I voted for this man for President. I cried last night watching him on TV. Giving thanks to the people, expressing genuine love for this country, give thanks to GOD! This man will be like my Grandfather, standing tall, proud, among others doing the same. He served our country, spent 5 years as a POW and another 20 or so standing up for what was right. Like all men he is human. Like all men should be, he is a God fearing man and wants to lead our country like so. That's who I want as my President. However, whomever wins will have my prayers. I love God and I love my country and I love Papaws!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TEN PREDICTIONS NO MATTER WHO WINS THE ELECTION: 1. The Bible will still have all the answers. 2. Prayer will still work. 3. The Holy Spirit will still move. 4. God will still inhabit the praises of His people. 5. There will still be God-anointed preaching. 6. There will still be singing of praise to God. 7. God will still pour out blessings upon His people. 8. There will still be room at the Cross. 9. Jesus will still love you. 10. Jesus will still save the lost. ISN'T IT GREAT TO KNOW WHO IS STILL IN CONTROL?

4 comments:

  1. Aimee,

    This is an very touching post! I am glad I stopped by this morning to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I found your blog through Jeannie's. Go McCain/Palin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a believer in Christ and I wanted John Mccain to win. Now as Christians we need to pray for each other and Obama.
    May GOD touch his heart and open his heart that he may follow GOD's direction. May GOD bless you and your family. Lets all pray for American.

    ReplyDelete

Show the love. Major love!